Sunday 27 April 2014

Avani Sepang - Fun and relaxing getaway

By Sharen Kaur
Published in Travel Times, NST on April 17, 2014

For a great family outing or just to de-stress, there’s Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort, writes Sharen Kaur

I HATE driving to Sepang because of the scorching sun and haze but when there’s a night’s stay at the newly re-branded Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort at the end of the journey, I just can’t resist it!
Travellers have been raving about the resort which is located on the Selangor coast near Sepang International Circuit — home to the Formula 1 Grand Prix — and a 45-minute drive from Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
I set out at 8.30am from KL and arrive at the resort 90 minutes later.
It is a long drive but scenic after I pass the Sepang International Circuit as the route takes me through beautiful countryside of hills and kampung houses.
Along the way, I wonder what the resort looks like now that it has been re-launched under the Avani flag following the completion of the first of two phases of a RM15 million refurbishment programme.
Thailand-based Minor Hotel Group owns the Avani brand and renamed the property. It was formerly known as Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort & Spa.
As I walk into the lobby to check-in, I am awed by the beautiful settings. The resort comprises sea villas set in the shape of a palm tree, spreading out over the sheltered waters of the Strait Of Malacca.
Without wasting time. I get my key and head for the one-bedroom villa that sits on the trunk of the “palm”. I place my luggage inside the room and change into something more comfortable to enjoy the facilities.
Then I grab a bicycle for moving around and get a better picture of the place. The resort has over 400 bicycles for the complimentary use of its guests.

Grab a bicycle and cycle around the neighbouring kampung.

I am also hungry and thirsty, so I head for Sepoi-Sepoi restaurant which serves local and western food.
After lunch I go to the beach to enjoy the breeze and watch activities ranging from sailing, kayaking, canoeing and windsurfing to beach soccer and sand painting for the younger kids. And it’s all complimentary.
Sunset at the five-star resort reflects the intimacy and natural beauty of the Sepang coastline.

Stunning sunset adds romance to the Polynesian-inspired water chalets.

My day isn’t ended yet but already, I am convinced that Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort is perfect for eco-adventure, family-friendly fun and a relaxing getaway.
FAST FACTS

HOTEL

Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort (formerly Golden Palm Tree Iconic Resort & Spa)

GETTING THERE
Use the Maju Expressway and head towards LCCT Sepang. Turn left at the traffic lights before the Sepang International Circuit. Follow signboards from there.

MAIN ATTRACTION
Polynesian-inspired water chalets

FIRST IMPRESSION
Nice and cosy

ROOMS
392 contemporary Polynesian-inspired one-, two- and three-bedroom villas built on stilts with Balinese-inspired alang-alang roofing.

F&B OUTLETS
Nine outlets that can do better

OVERALL SERVICE
Within expectations

PLACES WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE
Bagan Lalang beach, homestays, seafood restaurants. Nearby attractions include Sepang Goldcoast Environment Interpretive Centre (Malaysia Nature Society), Sepang Riverine Mangroves Sanctuary and Wetlands, Orang Asli settlement and handicrafts centre.
 
Avani Sepang Goldcoast Resort is a perfect retreat to de-stress.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment